The Sports Massage of Dixie Massage Therapy and Performance Internship is designed to provide you with a comprehensive learning experience that will dramatically improve your manual therapy skills. You’ll have an opportunity to work in a dynamic integrated model of personal training, sports performance, and massage therapy. Under the supervision of the SMD Performance team, you’ll participate in coaching a variety of adult fitness and sports performance clients including high school, collegiate and professional athletes.
Interns follow a detailed educational curriculum covering every aspect of the Integrated Performance Development system, including assessment, program design, and coaching skills. Weekly staff inservices and one-on-one learning experiences are scheduled throughout the internship covering a variety of topics each week. In addition, interns may participate in any learning opportunities, such as seminars, that are hosted by SMD during the internship.
Hours vary based on time of year but include a variety of times including Saturdays, early morning, and evening hours. At times during the sports seasons we are open late.
We accept both full-time and part-time positions, though prefer full time applicants. If you have any scheduling restrictions, please disclose them while applying.
All internships are unpaid and participation does not necessarily entitle the participant to a job at the conclusion of the internship.
Strong desire to advance yourself and your skills by developing a
- Proper knowledge of common self myofascial release, mobility, dynamic warm up, exercise progressions, and training techniques
- Eagerness and open mindedness in learning the IPD System
- Good people skills, communication skills, and professional presentation to allow interactions with clients, parents, coaches, and other SMD team members
- Uphold all of the Sports Massage of Dixie Core Values at all times
- Licensed to practice massage therapy in your state
- First Aid/CPR certification that is valid for the duration of the internship
- Able to participate in entire duration of internship, including the potential for weekend, morning, and evening hours as needed
- CSCS, NASM, CFSC certification or similar preferred but not mandatory
- Exercise-related college degree preferred but not mandatory